Monday, June 18, 2012

My Desk

My desk has spaghetti on it
It does, really
And leaves
and bricks
and two cannon which point at my face
when the spaghetti doesn’t twist them some other way

The spaghetti is sauceless
no butter or cheese either
it connects my laptop to the world
To the scanner, two printers, a hard drive, my cell phone, my iPod
Power
It lies there in a mass, woven together like marsh grass in a Gullah basket I saw in the museum on Hilton Head once
But not as pretty or expensive

The leaves are stacked nicely for leaves anyway
In piles near the edges of the desk
Poised like the ships teetering on the edge of the flat world
They tell me things
Who I need to pay, who I can put off until next month
that my daughter should consider Pratt even though she wants to be a journalist
They’ll be reshuffled and eventually filed or thrown away
Not like tree leaves
The ones that get raked up into piles
To be jumped in
The pointy pin oakey ones like the ones on a Gullah basket woven from marsh grass I saw once in a museum on Hilton Head

The bricks are smaller than real brinks
The kind towns slap all over their storefronts in the Northeast to make them look Colonial
Like Williamsburg
Virginia
Still, my bricks are smarter, not stronger mind you, just smarter
They are a cell phone, a hard drive and an iPod
They hold things more important to me than the colonial bricks could
People, places, things all stored in little tiny bits
Like rice in that Gullah basket woven from marsh grass that I saw in the museum on Hilton Head once

And don’t worry
The two cannon which sit, pointed at my head, don’t fire bullets
They're speakers which fire things far more important
Than bullets
They fire a barrage of words and music and ideas from people smarter than me
From people in places I’ve never been
Places I may never go
Places where they weave baskets out of marsh grass like the one I saw in that museum on Hilton Head once.

No comments: